Monday, February 18, 2008

Mirrors & Eye Glasses

This rectory has an abundance of mirrors as far as I'm concerned. To me, a mirror is "Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all" and I never was in the running. During most of my 30s, if I happened to pass by a mirror, I had a baby/toddler/preschooler in my arms. Who wants to compare her face with the perfect face of a small child? So I got out of the habit of looking. And I probably stopped during that period when I had rosacea so severely that my nose was redder than Rudolph's with that persistent large white pimple on the end of it and there was way more scalp than hair on my feminine head. Well when I was in Halifax in Windsor Park, I walked into the bathroom with my prescription eye glasses on. Talk about a shock. When did my skin get wrinkly around the eyes? And I swear I didn't know about all those stray chin hairs I missed taking care of. I remember reading somewhere that the best friend of a post menopausal woman was a magnifying mirror. Wonder what I'd discover if I could magnify this face? I could start my day with "This is my face the way God intended me to see it. After finding my glasses, this is my actual face that the world sees every day and holy cow, this is my magnified face or is it a some geological ruin?

No comments: