Friday, January 16, 2009

Low Rise Jeans

The NY Times quote of the day regarding U.S. President George W. Bush's last press conference is the inspiration for this post" "It all felt strangely intimate and, occasionally, uncomfortable, in the manner of seeing a plumber wearing jeans that ride too low." - Ted Anthony, of the Associated Press

I didn't watch Bush's press conference because I'm waiting for the youtube version. Why watch the whole thing when there are people out there willing to edit out the unessential, not-so-entertaining or enlightening bits. Even the best of the best have difficulty transitioning into being yesterday's man so I can't imagine it's going to go well for George W. Bush.

What I do have an opinion about is people exposing their butt cracks. With men, it comes across as a protest. I may have to fix your plumbing but I don't have to like it so kiss my a__. There's something disrespectful about it - the opposite of polishing oneself up like James Bond in his tux. That said, it doesn't particularly bother me. I lived through the 60s. I get protest.

Girls showing their butt cracks is a whole different story. I interpret it as a lack of self-respect. A woman of dignity covers her nether regions. A lady is discret and selective when it comes to flashing flesh. I get protest but I don't get self-degregation. The guy is supposed to go on a quest, slay a dragon, scale a mountain, grab the rose through the ring of flame all for a flash of your smile. Your mama read you a million stories telling you that you were a princess. Listen to your mama and not the MTV music videos.

No comments: